The Annapolis Watercolor Club was founded in 1975 by a small group of artists under the leadership of Joanne Scott as a non-profit educational organization. In 1997, the Annapolis Watercolor Club devoted itself exclusively to the practice, education, and promotion of watercolor as an art medium.
Membership is open to anyone interested in watercolors, at any skill level. There is no requirement to be juried in! Our members range from novice painters to experienced, recognized artists, including professional artists and teachers. To join at any time, fill out a membership form and mail it, along with your check, to our membership chairperson.
Annual membership is currently $35, which includes newsletter delivered by email. To receive a print copy of newsletter delivered by USPS, there is an additional charge of $15 per year. Our membership year begins in January. For new members joining after June 1, dues are reduced to $15 for the remainder of the year (or $20 for print newsletter).
We also feature a Junior Membership, open to high school juniors and seniors and to full-time college students. The annual fee for Junior Members is $20 per year, and Junior Members are invited to sign up for workshops or to enter exhibitions for half-price.
- Monthly meetings from September through June. Meetings usually feature a demonstration of new or unique painting techniques by an established local artist, or other presentation on a topic of interest to watercolor artists.
- Frequent exhibitions in the greater Annapolis area, both juried and non-juried.
- Several workshops each year, offered at very reasonable cost, taught by local- and nationally-recognized watercolor artists to improve and enhance members’ painting skills.
- Bus or car-pool trips to mid-Atlantic area museums and galleries.
- Monthly newsletter (except during July and August).
- Social events including the annual Christmas party and Spring Fling/critique.
- Informal paint-outs and other events.
All members are encouraged to participate by filling position of club leadership, as well as assisting with club activities and exhibitions offered throughout the year.
Monthly meetings are included in membership; there is an additional fee for workshops, exhibitions, and trips.
Our meetings are held on the second Wednesday of the month. This year, seven of them will be held at night, 7pm to 8:30pm, and three during the day. The meetings are at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts, room 308. The meeting begins with a brief business meeting followed by a demonstration or other presentation of interest, and concludes at 8:30pm. Guests and visitors are welcome at the demonstrations, for a fee of $5. We do not have meetings in the month of July and August.
Please note that Maryland Hall is part of the Anne Arundel County school system, so it follows the same schedule as the school system. In case of snow or other weather conditions, please check the status of the county schools on WBAL for closings.